Disable value in list

Hi everyone Quite often we need to disable a value in a list, but previously created items with the value is still valid. Does anyone have a suggestion to a solution? Example: On our Part form we have a dropdown list called "Item Type". A value in the list needs to be disabled so it can't be used when creating new parts. The value is still valid for all previously created parts. Only option in Aras is to delete the value in the list, but this leaves us with another issue. When a user opens an old part with this value, which is allowed on old parts, the dropdown field is blank even though the value is still in the database. In our ERP system all list values have checkboxes to disable a value. If the checkbox is ticked the value is no longer selectable but items which already have this value still shows correctly. This can't be specific for us, so I hope someone have a solution. Thanks in advance. Regards Henrik Olesen Kamstrup A/S Denmark
  • Hi Henrik (glad to have you back on the forum !)   Even though I'm not a big fan of this, I would simply add a client method on the form which adds the actual value to the dropdown list (only if it is not in the dropdown). I'm pretty sure this will work as list are not constraining in Aras (via AML you could set any value). Warning : we have a project of allowing edits in the main grid for a user-experience closer to Excel, you might get the same issue when this will be available.
  • Ok, little correction after I discussed the topic with one of our good friends from Minerva. My solution is quick... and dirty. You would have an issue with the old values regarding values/label. So the clean solution might be to implement a "disabled" boolean property in the list itemtype (which is core so be carefull). You would read this value and remove the list value from the list when opening the form.
  • Hi Yoann Thanks for the reply. I think we will try and go for your second solution (the clean solution) :-) Hopefully we will be able to make that work. Our target is to create a solution as generic as possible so we can reuse the code. Kind Regards Henrik