This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DEVELOPERS FORUM - User Team/Groups

jfranken - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 4:43 AM:

Hi
I am trying to seperate users into different Teams/Groups.
Each team will basically be responsible to create their own Parts, ECNs and Documents. Each of these team members must also be able to go through the whole life cycle process for a part and ECN with everything visible only to the members of each team.
I'm sure this must be able to achieve with permissions and identities but I see that the "Aras PLM" identity is assigned to the ECN Workflow. Adding users to this identity makes the parts visible to all users.
Can you give me some guidelines on how to achieve this.
Regards

jfranken - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 5:53 AM:

Create Permission:
Team A
Team B
-----
Create Identity:
Team A Identity
Team B Identity 
-----
Link Users to eg. "Team B Identity"
Link eg."Team B Identity" to Permission
On the Part Permission Tab link eg."Team B"
-----
If the Part's "Assigned Creator" is set to "Team B Identity" all users of Team B are able to access (Edit/View) the part.
-----
How do you do this with an ECN? so that only users within a team can go through the whole ECN process.
Obviously the Workflow and life cycles define to roles so the Team's users should belong to these identities as well to be able to work on activities an promotions but its not that simple.

Brian - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:06 AM:

In Innovator 9.2 release I don't think you can do what you are trying with only Permissions and Identities.

In the Demo database (see the Projects Page) there are examples of Workflows that use a more dynamic method of allocating users to an ECN that might help you do what you want. You do need to be careful with these examples as they are not guaranteed to be Production ready code so you would have to test them in your installation. Have a look at the "PLMe ECR" - Activity "ECR Approval" - Server Methods. Method called "pb ResolvePlaceHolderOnWF" This is used with the "special" placeholder Identity in the Assignment. There are instructions on how to interpret the Placeholder Identity inside the method.

You could write methods in the Relationship Type for "ECR Affected Item" and "ECN Affected Item" responding to the onRowInsert and look for the membership of the logged on user and compare it to the assigned creator of the Part in question. Still not an easy way of doing this.

You could have two distinct databases, one for each team, and use code to keep them in sync for part number creation or have different part number schemes in each database to keep the numbers from clashing.

The Aras roadmap for release 9.3 which is due out to subscribers very soon (and to the community some time after that) has features that support "Team Identity" which I believe is supposed to handle exactly the situation you are trying to deal with.

The best answer for you might be to wait until release 9.3 gets to the community or look at a subscription.

And BTW the Aras PLM Identity is a special internal Identity that is supposed to be used when you want a Workflow to manage the Lifecycle State Transitions. It is not normal practice to add users to this Identity as you can end up with Items promoted to unexpected places when you are otherwise processing something through an ECN Workflow.

Hope this helps,

Brian.

jfranken - Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:35 AM:

Hi Brian

Thank you so much for your reply. This makes a lot of sense. We are currently using the open source version 9.2 and might have to wait for the next release.

Regards

Jaco