This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

DEVELOPERS FORUM - Create Multiple Vaults & setting Permissions

sherenegladysj - Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:20 AM:

Hello all,

Can I have user specific Vaults? 'Group Identity A' can check-in files only to 'Vault-A'. 'Group Identity B' can check-in files only to 'Vault-B'.

How to set permission over Vaults? 'A-group' can have only Read permission over files checked into 'Vault-B'. They cannot checkout files from 'Vault-B'. Similarly for 'B-group'.

Is it possible to create Multiple Vaults & associate each group to particular vaults and setting permissions for each group to different Vaults??? If so how to achive this in Aras?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sherene

PeterSchroer - Tuesday, April 13, 2010 8:57 AM:

Hello Sherene,

Aras innovator can be configured (quite easily!)  with multiple vault servers for a distributed configuration.       Each user is assigned a default vault for check-in operations (this is a property on the User Item).     Remember though,    in the Aras Innovator model,  users do not work with Files directly.   A "File" is a low level physical data item,  that is always wrapped by a business object.    The  Document item for example in the standard PLM solution.    All the permissions and business rules are set at the Document level,  and you can quite easily set the security as you described.     Notice that we have separated the security from the physical storage of files.   Where files are stored (in which vault) is an admin decision for balancing network loads and supporting fail-over decisions.   What access certain users have to files is separate.    In fact,  you can easily accomplish the security that you want with a single Vault.      Sounds like you have 2 classes of Documents (files),  and based on the class,  one group can Read and the other can Edit (checkout).    

Peter

AbhishekSrivastava - Saturday, January 30, 2016 12:04 AM:

Thanks Peter for above info ,

Actually i am also dealing with multiple vault issue. I installed aras 11 at site 1  server and make another vault at site 2 server. i follow the below step but still facing an error need help:

1. We Allocate a server at the secondary location (Site 2) that is capable of running Windows Internet Information Server (IIS) and has sufficient available storage to house the vaulted files.
  2. Run the Innovator setup, InnovatorSetup.msi, to begin the installation process.
  3. Perform a custom installation and select the Vault Server setup component only.
  4. Choose a name for the vault. The default name in the installation is “Default”. I already have a vault named “Default” in our Innovator environment, so I should specify a different name. A name indicating the location can be helpful when looking at a list of Innovator vault names.
  5. The installation will also ask for the Application Server URL. This is the URL to the Innovator server instance at Site 1. The URL has the following form, http://<Site_1_Hostname>/<web_alias>/Server/InnovatorServer.aspx. 
  6. Identify the local path on the server where the vaulted files will be stored.
  7. Complete the installation.
  8. Browse the installation path and open the file VaultServerConfig.xml in a text file editor. Confirm that the <AppServerURL> (from Step 5) and <name> (from Step 4) parameters are correct per the values entered during the installation.
  9. Login to Innovator as an administrator and expand the Administration -> Vaults branch of the tree.
  10. Add a new vault record.
  11. Set the Name on the form to the vault name used during the installation (Step 4).
  12. Set the Vault URL to http://<Site 2 Hostname>/vault/VaultServer.aspx.
  13. Save, unlock and close the Vault record.
  14. Update the Default Vault value on the user records that will be using the Site 2 vault.
  15. Login as one of the Site 2 users and create a new document object and attach a file to it. Unlock the document object.
  16. Confirm that the file has been added to the Site 2 vault in the path specified in Step 6.

Error found when attaching file by site 2 location user :

Server returned invalid SOAP message.

Detail: XML Parsing Error: not well-formed Location: 10.240.66.12/.../Innovator.aspx Line Number 20, Column 65: <span><H1>Server Error in '/' Application.<hr width=100% size=1 color=silver></H1> ----------------------------------------------------------------^

fli - Monday, August 22, 2016 6:54 AM:

Hi,

I get the same error, did you find a solution?

- Christoffer

edonahue - Monday, September 19, 2016 12:44 PM:

Hi Christoffer,

Can you provide the following information about your environment?

• Version of Aras Innovator 
  • Browser & browser version
  • Size/type of the file you're trying to save
  • Whether the issue occurs for all users, or only users with Default Vault set to the secondary vault