Aras, the leader in open product lifecycle management (PLM) software for the enterprise, today announced that it has acquired Comet Solutions, Inc., a provider of best-in-class software for simulation process management. Using Comet’s technology, manufacturers are able to reuse complex simulations in order to scale the application and use of simulation results. The addition of Comet’s capabilities to the Aras PLM Platform provides a way for organizations to connect simulation – and simulation experts – to mainstream engineering processes for traceability, access, and reuse across the product lifecycle.
Bringing Simulation Processes Mainstream with an Open PLM Platform
Industry experts anticipate increasing demand for simulation across the product lifecycle driven by product complexity, competitive pressure, and emerging opportunities with Digital Twin and IoT. To date, broader use of simulation has been held back by the failure of simulation process and data management (SPDM) tools to connect simulation users to the enterprise.
The acquisition of Comet Solutions is an important step on Aras’ roadmap to develop platform-based SPDM to support higher volume simulation for the most complex scenarios. With the addition of Comet’s technology, Aras closes the gap between simulation and mainstream design by providing simulation analysts with the means to repeat and reuse simulation while connecting their analysis to through-life product configuration and cross-discipline design.
Comet’s vendor-agnostic application also mirrors Aras’ open approach by connecting with a wide array CAD, FEA, meshing, 0D/1D simulation tools, and in-house applications which is a requirement to support organizations’ heterogeneous simulation tool environments – and therefore essential for SPDM to work.
Comet’s capabilities for managing mixed fidelity models, different data types, and various representations of the same product or assembly for simulation purposes are an important aspect for simulation management across systems engineering disciplines. The ability to extract intelligence from simulation models and results – rather than simply managing data at the file level – is also a significant benefit above and beyond that of other SPDM systems on the market.
Flexibility and Efficiency for Simulation Experts
Comet Solutions enables simulation experts to be more productive through creation of simulation processes for re-use and tool chain automation for job execution i.e., linking of simulation tools to perform a complex function or analysis.
Comet’s technology provides a range of features to increase the volume and effectiveness of simulation:
- Achieves better product simulation coverage
- Empowers experts to rapidly conduct analysis on product variations, options, and concepts
- Performs required calculations using pre-specified CAD and CAE software
- Manages job execution of tool chains including job server, data extract, pull files, operations on cloud, high-performance computing clusters, and others
Comet software will be available for Aras subscribers at no charge. To request Comet software or inquire about subscriptions, companies may submit a request here.
- “Extending the Digital Thread to include simulation tools and processes has emerged as a critical enabler for future business models. Simulation can add significant value to product development, manufacturing and field operations, but has not yet reached its potential due to limited connection to the rest of the enterprise. The addition of Comet's capabilities will allow us to bring repeatability, reusability and traceability to simulation across the product lifecycle.” - Rob McAveney, Chief Architect, Aras
- “Joining the Aras family turbo charges Comet’s vision to bring simulation to the enterprise. Comet's philosophy and approach to simulation align well with Aras' approach to PLM. We see significant increased value for both Comet and Aras customers.” - Malcolm Panthaki, Chief Technology Officer and Founder, Comet Solutions
- Aras Core Tenets for Simulation Across the Product Lifecycle
- Aras PLM Platform
- Simulation & SPDM
- Systems Engineering
About Comet Solutions, Inc.
Comet Solutions® provides software and services that simplify the complex process of engineering product systems. Comet’s customers have developed a suite of powerful, web-deployable SimApps™, which embed expert knowledge and methods, but remove the complexity of general purpose Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) tools. SimApps make simulation-driven design suitable for use by everyone from CAE experts to design engineers.
With Comet SimApps, companies exploit the full potential of their existing CAD/CAE/PLM tools and resources by exploring more design alternatives, enabling product innovation and the rapid development of higher quality and more cost-effective products. For more information about Comet Solutions and example SimApps, please visit www.cometsolutions.com.
Aras enables the world’s leading manufacturers of complex, connected products to transform their product lifecycle processes and gain a competitive edge. Aras’ open, flexible, scalable, and upgradable PLM platform and applications connect users in all disciplines and functions to critical product information and processes across the extended enterprise. Aras customers include Airbus, BAE Systems, GE, GM, Hitachi, Honda, Kawasaki Heavy Industries, and Microsoft. Visit www.aras.com and follow us on Twitter @aras_plm and LinkedIn.
Aras Press Contact
+1 978 806 9410
Version 2.0 Communications
+1 617 426 2222